Friday, July 24, 2009

Elite: Brad Paisley splits his nighttime at the White House


Nation state song star Brad Paisley was asked to participate in the White House Music Series on July 21. Exclusively for CNN.com, Paisley blogged about performing in the historic East Room before the president, the first lady, students, White House staff and members of Congress.
- I've been to the White House five or six times over the years, but none of those times did I ever pick up an instrument.
It was always for some event.
"Hey, there's a reception. Come eat some finger foods, and look around and be in awe like everybody else."
But this time, the phone call was essentially, "We would like to know if Brad would be interested in performing at the White House in the East Room."
It was as simple as that. It's like, "Yes! More than yes. I'm floored. Why?!"
And I could never get the answer why. They just wanted me to play.
Ironically, I read this story just last week on CNN about Michelle Obama's great-great grandfather, Jim Robinson, who was a slave in South Carolina. It's insane to think about that. How the world has changed.
On November 4th, I felt an emotion like I haven't felt in my entire life. I think whoever you voted for, you had to be moved.
My grandfather was in the Philippines fighting against the Japanese during World War II -- and now I record for Sony and played Japan twice on tour, and loved every minute.
If you'd go back in time and tell my grandfather during air raid sirens, "Hang on there. Your grandson -- they're gonna love him," he never would have believed it.